Requisition ID: 3518
Number of Vacancies: 1.00
Department: Legal (20000045) – Legal (30000077)
Salary Information: $107,616.60 – $145,436.20
Pay Scale Group: SOL1
Employment Type: Regular
Weekly Hours: 35, Off Days: Shift: Day
Posted On: March 26, 2021
Last Day to Apply: April 9, 2021
Reports to: Litigation Counsel
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC’s recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
Acts as counsel to the TTC with a primary focus on personal injury and insurance litigation matters
Key Job Functions
- Representing TTC and its employees before various Ontario Courts and tribunals, including the Licence Appeal Tribunal of Ontario
- Providing day-to-day guidance and legal opinions on a variety of legal matters
- Presenting cases to opposing counsel fairly and knowledgeably in order to bring about a reasonable settlement of the litigation in the interest of the TTC and related stakeholders
- Advocating, vigorously and professionally, before a judge, jury, arbitrator and/or mediator, where a reasonable settlement in the interest of the TTC and related stakeholders cannot be reached
- Participation in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program
- Apply analytical skills
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Demonstrate specialized expertise and knowledge in the assigned field
- Manage conflict
- Understand and apply relevant laws and regulation
Education and Experience
- You must have a Bachelor of Laws Degree or a Juris Doctorate and must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- You are a Litigation Lawyer with at least three years experienced in Insurance Defence.
- You have conducted trials, arbitrations, and/or contested motion
- Strong knowledge of legal principles, procedures and practices; and a detailed understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure, Insurance Act and Regulations and Rules of Evidence as related to liability and assessment of damages in a wide variety of areas including personal injury
- Thorough familiarity with research methods and techniques
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Have strong understanding of the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule
- Sound judgement, strong organizational, analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
To find out more about the TTC and to apply online, by April 9, 2021, please visit www.ttc.ca/jobs, click on “current employment opportunities” and enter Requisition ID 3518 in the search field.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources – Employment Services at 416-393-4570.
The TTC’s Employment Policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.