Social media brief for National Engineering Month
Groundswell is a design thinking firm; as thinking partners, we help our clients understand, empathize with, and create innovative solutions for the people they care about most. We create human-centred communications, products, services and cultures. While our process is consistently rooted in empathy, our methods, our team, our clients and our project outcomes are bespoke, because each problem we solve and each client we solve it for is unique. Based in downtown Toronto, our work environment is built on collaboration, communication and creativity.
We lead National Engineering Month (NEM) Ontario – an annual campaign taking place in March. This year we’re focusing on how we can support our community of post-secondary students and professionals in the pursuit of lifelong learning. In times of great adaptation, nothing is as powerful as knowing how to learn and what to learn.
The campaign consists of a variety of events organized by Engineering and Technology professionals and students throughout Ontario. Our role is to engage and provide support to event organizers leading up to and during the campaign. In 2019, the campaign included over 300 in-person events, though in 2020 we were very much impacted by COVID-19.
We’re looking for Social Marketing & Communications support in implementing the NEM Ontario campaign. You bring expertise in social media and brand management, designing and implementing communication strategies, and writing blog posts and website content. You are detail-oriented, don’t need much direction to run, courageous, believe work should be an adventure, entrepreneurial, honest and have a great sense of humour. You tell stories and communicate in a way that captivates and inspires.
● In collaboration with the Project Manager & Creative Director, create a communications plan
● the plan will include the ideas we want to communicate, the desired behaviour of the listeners, audiences targeted, ad-buying strategy to reach them, detailed execution of what and when is
● Build an organized folder of assets that include short and long form samples of messaging for
different platforms, photographs, digital images
● Develop an assessment tool that can be checked monthly to track our progress building
community, interacting etc
● Manage NEM social media accounts and create regular posts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
● Write content for NEM website
● Support the development of resources for event organizers
● Attend weekly or bi-weekly meetings with the project team
● Coordinate with NEM Ontario Steering Committee communication teams
● Support event organizers to successfully market their events
● Promote National Engineering Month Ontario events in March Skills & Qualifications
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Proactive with the ability to self-manage
● Strong organization skills and attention to detail
● Experience with creative writing and editing
● Interest or experience in engineering and technology is an asset
● Post to Twitter & Instagram (5x week – 2-3 original posts, 2-3 reposts)
● Post to Facebook (2-3x week – same original content as Twitter, edited for FB format)
● Seek out new organizations and individuals to follow & strike up conversations with
● Purchase social media ads
● Target audiences strategically
● Plan ads in advance according to communications schedule Blogs
● Post about new strategy update and what we’re excited to focus on this year
● 1 posts monthly, 4 posts in March Website
● Update copy on website to promote strategy Publications
● Write monthly articles for OACETT and PEO’s (members of the steering committee) publications (in coordination with their communication teams)
The total budget for this contract is $10k which will include professional fees as well as the cost of social media ads. If interested, send your application in a form of a short proposal that would outline how you will approach the work.
Work for this contract will be done remotely.
Send résumé (Curriculum vitæ) to Ruth Silver Ruth@groundswellprojects.org with the title of the job in the subject heading of the email.