Why is this role important?
Every day, millions of Canadians use cbc.ca to find out what is happening in our country. From news to sports to the arts to Indigenous to Being Black in Canada to Kids and more, CBC.ca is a portal into Canadian life with the mission to serve everyone that connects with the CBC.
We welcome strong collaborators, people who feel they can contribute in creative ways. If you’re passionate about Canada, especially our diversity, and you love technology, learning and bringing out the best in others, you’ll love working in the Web Experience team at the CBC.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values – collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement – embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work.
- Work from home opportunities.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie.
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology.
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development.
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups.
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent.
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected.
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity.
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
You are an experienced developer looking to apply and build upon your skills in:
- Creating end-to-end user-facing products with an emphasis on discoverability, engagement, and personalization on cbc.ca supporting content verticals like news, sports, life, arts etc.
- Understanding the importance of accessibility and knowing what it takes to meet the needs and inclusivity of all users
- Having an opportunity to join a company with a mission, value set, and tech-forward approach that aligns with your own; a place where knowledge-sharing guides your learning
- Wanting to be part of a fun team, engaged in a continuous learning culture, where you can take on new challenges and be a significant contributor to engaging our pan Canadian audience
What you bring to our team:
- The education. A degree (BA, BSc) or diploma in a Software Development, Science or Engineering related discipline, delivered by a recognized learning institution is preferred
- The inclusive and accessible outlook. You understand the importance of creating inclusive digital products and are familiar with coding for assistive technology e.g. through semantic markups, ARIA
- The communication skills. You listen and relay empathy and understanding from diverse perspectives. Your powers of observation help you understand your audience and communicate with the right level of detail
- The collaborative Agile experience. You thrive in a team-focused environment. You believe in the Agile methodology deeply, but you are flexible and open to the real world twists and turns. You are comfortable with iterative and incremental development
- The desire to learn. You can quickly learn new technologies and respond to change by learning and adapting
- You have experience running A/B tests, and are able to understand the technical implementation with the methodology to promote feature improvements through Build, Measure, Learn
- Experience in the Test Driven Development (TDD) process