The Globe and Mail is a national icon and Canada’s most recognized media brand.
We’re also an international award winner for data visualization, design, and creative storytelling. A digital innovator with a global client list for our in-house AI-powered optimization, prediction and automation platform. And a place where Canadians come for the best journalism in the country.
We aim to reflect Canada in the stories we tell and in our workforce. The Globe is a proud partner of Pride At Work, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. We understand our staff have lives outside of the office and offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also provide training and mentorships to staff to ensure you’re able to grow and challenge yourself and your abilities.
No matter what your role at The Globe, you’ll be part of an organization dedicated to making a difference to Canada.
The person in this role does this by working with the product owners/managers to prioritize the work of the highest value; keep the teams performing well by motivating them and removing obstacles; improve transparency and velocity; coaching people; facilitating agreement on the best technical approach and project management approach; and assisting with project planning and strategic vision.
- Act as Scrum Master for the development teams with a focus on guiding and coaching the teams to improve the way they work
- Organize and facilitate backlog grooming, daily stand-ups, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos and other Scrum-related meetings
- Track and communicate team velocity, sprint/release progress that help the team see how they are doing and remove any impediments
- Assist the Product Owners in keeping the backlog groomed and maintained
- Coach Product Owners/Managers in best practice of writing user stories and epics
- Liaise between the Developers, QA leads, Product Mangers and Users Experience/Designers and foster strong communication between the disciplines
- Act as a Project Manager when necessary; manage risk, quality, scope, budget, and resources
- Assist with prioritization and resolution of defects/bugs
- Ensure the teams are practicing the core agile principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability, and visibility
- Assist team with making appropriate commitments through story selection, task definition & estimation
- Participate proactively in developing and maintaining team standards, tools, and best practices
- Identify and remove impediments, prevent distractions; Facilitate discussion and conflict resolution; Empower the team to self-organize
- Accountability, positivity and high energy
- University Degree of Computer Science or related field
- Certified Scrum Master/ Scrum Practitioner
- 3+ years of experience with a software development life cycle leading teams of developers
- 3+ years of experience in the Scrum Master/Project Manager role
- Experience with web-based software application development
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Visio and MS Power Point and Google Suites for business
- Proficiency with JIRA/Atlassian products
- Strong communication, verbal and written skills
- Strong analytics and problem-solving skills
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.