Purpose of Role
The Regional Accountant provides accounting, budgeting, financial review and analysis support to the Regional Real Estate Team as well as assisting the Corporate Accounting Team with accounting and finance related tasks (e.g. month end, quarter end and year end audit support, ad-hoc financial analysis, special projects/initiatives).
FINANCIAL ANALYSIS AND REPORTING
- Supports the Real Estate Team in reporting financial information for the regional properties (development and rental operations), including preparation of project budgets, project proformas and other reporting as required.
- Supports the Real Estate Team with financial information/analysis for due diligence preparation on potential acquisitions and dispositions.
- Records details of all financial transactions for the regional properties into the general ledger for monthly and quarterly reporting. This may include invoicing, cash receipts, accounts payable processing, land sales (revenue recognition & cost of sales), overhead allocations and capitalization, and journal entries.
- Supports Head Office quarterly and annual reporting by providing the necessary supporting schedules related to the respective regional property portfolio.
- Provides monthly, quarterly, and year end reporting and analysis to real estate and finance, including variance analysis, general ledger reconciliations, and various reports including job cost reports, contract listing reports, capex reports, commitment reports, sales and acquisition reports and LC reports.
ANNUAL BUDGETS/CORPORATE PLAN
- Assists the Regional Real Estate Team in preparing the consolidated budget package including the summary and detailed reports (proforma/budget update, variance analysis etc.) to support the five -year Corporate Plan for the CFO, EVP, and the Regional Management Team.
- Accountable for complete and accurate data being imported into JDE for all of their assigned business units to support the Corporate Plan preparation.
- Participates in the Annual Project Budget meetings alongside the regional real estate team.
COMMITMENT MANAGEMENT AND PAYMENT ADMINISTRATION
- Responsible for ensuring that all commitments for the portfolio are set-up and maintained in accordance with company policy. This includes preparing/reviewing the commitment and ensuring all appropriate documentation has been provided.
- Checks extension/coding of the invoices and verifies related backup documents.
- Prepares payment request forms for the project and office costs.
- Obtains approval within the delegated signing authorities, as it relates to payment processing of invoices.
- Provides oversight, through review and analysis of the monthly reporting for operating activities that are outsourced to third party managers. This includes leasing activities that are managed by a third party property manager and other business activities. Liaise as necessary with the property managers to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Records all Land Sales, including review of sales agreements, statement of adjustments, cash receipts, and ensuring all transactions are recorded in agreement with accounting policies.
- Prepares and records all bank deposits for their projects.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in business, finance or accounting required.
- Professional accounting designation required (CPA).
- Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of progressive accounting experience required.
- Experience in real estate and land development accounting preferred.
- Thorough understanding of IFRS required.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required.
- Knowledge of JD Edwards and Insight computer systems and software, an asset.