The Ontario Cannabis Store provides safe, responsible access to recreational cannabis for adults 19 and older. We operate the sole legal online store for recreational cannabis in Ontario and we are the provincial wholesaler of cannabis for private retail stores.
Working at the OCS is a unique opportunity to be part of an agile start-up in a ground-breaking new industry. We’re a diverse team passionate about delivering a great customer experience, working together with mutual respect and building value out of our differences. We’re an inclusive organization that understands that delivering great results comes out of ensuring every voice is heard.
About the Role
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for the Financial Reporting function, ensuring processes and procedures are in place and executed accordingly. The Accounting Manager will provide timely, and effective Financial Reporting that is compliant with IFRS and internal Accounting Policies and Government directives. The Accounting Manager will work closely with the Accounting team to ensure accurate and timely reporting for both internal and external financial reporting requirements.
You will use your strong relationship building skills and leadership experience to develop a high performing team. As Manager of Accounting, you will lead your team in ensuring that reports are submitted on a timely basis, maintain financial integrity and controls, and collaborate with external departments to complete project work.
About your Day
- Review and analyze monthly financial results, working closely with the Accounting team, to ensure accuracy and reporting in accordance with IFRS, internal accounting policies, and provincial Government directives and policies
- Review monthly internal financial reporting packages to ensure insightful and value-add reporting is provided and representative of key business activities within the organization
- Assist with, and further develop the preparation of external reports, ensuring accuracy of reporting, and timeliness in completion, including the Annual Audited Financial Statements, and the Annual Report.
- Prepare, review, and analyze specialized and / or ad-hoc reports as required, identifying trends and providing recommendations as needed
- Analyze and resolve financial issues and develop business recommendations for senior management, internal and external auditors
- Provide oversight and ensure IFRS, and internal Accounting Policies compliance of the inventory function, monitoring activity, reporting requirements, and any other business needs in relation to inventory, including the chargebacks process.
- Ensure appropriate processes and procedures are in place, documented, and implemented accordingly for the annual inventory count, and monthly cycle counts.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure all factors in Accounting for Inventory are identified and accounted for accordingly
- Provide oversight and ensure processes and procedures are in place, and implemented for appropriate revenue recognition, and any pricing related processes
- Review, and sign off on Balance Sheet Account reconciliations, monthly analysis, and reporting, in a timely manner
- Assist with reviewing and approving Journal Entries
- Review and approve daily PAD transactions, ensuring accuracy
- Oversee the monitoring of reconciliations between systems integrations, to ensure accuracy of records and transactions
- Follow up on and remediate internal and external Audit findings in a timely and effective manner, collaborating with the Finance team, as well as other departments within the organization
- Take ownership of, lead, and oversee projects per Finance team initiatives while delivering quality results, in a timely manner
- Provide strong leadership, working towards inspiring, developing, and motivating a team of qualified professionals
- Post-secondary education in Finance / Accounting or related fields.
- CPA designation (CA, CGA, CMA) is required
- 5+ years of relevant work experience within finance with a minimum of 2 years of experience leading a team
- Demonstrated high proficiency with IFRS
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint, and ERP experience
- Experience using Microsoft Dynamics is a strong asset
- Self-motivated, independent, comfortable in a dynamic environment
- Strong time-management skills to handle demanding workload and tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound business acumen and decision making
About the Job
City: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Permanent full time
Required Travel: Rare, usually within GTA
Application Deadline: November 26, 2020
We are committed to providing an accessible, equitable and inclusive candidate and employee experience. We provide reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment process and in employment. If you require an accommodation please let us know, we will work with you to meet your needs.
The Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS) uses LinkedIn as a service provider to manage the end to end job application and screening process.
Your personal information is collected for the purpose of evaluating candidates who have applied for job openings. For clarity, personal information in this context includes your resume, cover letter, and all information contained in your LinkedIn profile that you’ve made available based on your privacy settings. Your resume and cover letter will be retained by OCS as long as necessary to complete the recruitment competition to which you have applied. Your documentation will remain on file and may be reviewed for future opportunities that are relevant to your skills and experience.
Questions related to the job application process can be directed to email@example.com