|Job Title:||Licensee Relations Liaison (Bilingual)|
|Department:||Licensee Management (Broadcast | Digital) and Operational Support|
|Reports to:||Associate Director, Licensee Management (Broadcast | Digital) and Operational Support|
With headquarters in the heart of Toronto, Canada, the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency is a dynamic music licensing agency representing music copyright owners.
Our clients are music publishers and self-published songwriters who own the rights to the vast majority of songs recorded, sold, streamed, and broadcast in Canada. Our team works diligently on behalf of our clients to negotiate licensing agreements, collect royalties from our licensees (Apple, Spotify, Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, Tik Tok, radio stations, major and independent record labels, and others) and to distribute those royalties.
Established in 1975 and having contributed to many transformative moments in the music landscape since then, CMRRA are the market leaders in Canada for physical and digital mechanical licensing.
We’ve recently launched new international partnerships to collect digital mechanical royalties from the US and from numerous territories outside of North America too.
Our core mandate is ensuring that our clients get paid efficiently and on time for the use of their music. We play a pivotal role in the music ecosystem, which requires us to be constantly evolving, staying focused on both current and emerging business models using recorded music, and treating our clients and their songs as our top priority.
To learn more about our great team and our work, please visit cmrra.ca.
The Licensee Relations Liaison’s role is to effectively manage relationships with Broadcast Mechanical licensees and Digital Service Providers (DSPs) to ensure timely receipt of reporting and royalty payments, which is a critical component to CMRRA’s operational planning and royalties’ distribution activities for these lines of business (LOB).
- Under the direction of the Associate Director Licensee Management, effectively liaise in both English and French, and develop a working relationship with Broadcast Mechanical licensees (Commercial Radio, Non-Commercial, CBC, Satellite, Pay Audio and Background Music services) and Digital licensees
- Work with key individuals in the organization to coordinate and track the status of quarterly invoicing and/or payments for Online Music Services and Broadcast LOB
- Work with various teams and licensees to ensure that key invoicing, collections and distribution deadlines are met, for all Digital and Broadcast Mechanical LOB
- Collaborate with other departments; in particular, CMRRA Legal/Business Affairs and Finance, on the status of Licensee agreements, non-compliance, implementation of new/updated rate structures, and other deal points
- Monitor commercial radio payments and provide weekly reporting to Finance on payments, including periods covered and taxes
- Ensure follow up is done on receiving monthly financial reporting from commercial radio stations and match to payments
- Answer queries from stations related to account and royalties to be paid
- Coordinate with SoundExchange and Supervisor, Licensee Management on monitoring reception of timely and properly formatted usage logs from commercial radio stations
- Work with licensees to explain duties and responsibilities under licensing agreements, and ensure compliance with such obligations
- Monitor and track incoming usage reporting from various licensees, identify and address any gaps or errors
- Prepare any necessary invoices for payment by licensees, depending on LOB and license terms
- Liaise with department Supervisors to coordinate staff availability for projects requiring Administrators input and efforts
- Other duties as required
Required Experience and Skills:
- Post-secondary certificate or diploma, or equivalent experience, in music business administration or a related field and/or comparable years of work experience
- Fluently bilingual (English and French), both written and oral
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in comprehensive and practical understanding of music publishing, including licensing agreements, copyright and royalties
- Be at ease in participating or leading process improvement initiatives and demonstrate a high level of independence
- Capable of effectively running meetings with both internal and external stakeholders
- Client service experience, including effective listening skills and successful result delivery
- Demonstrated experience with both external relationship management and expectation management
- Research and problem-solving skills
- MS Office experience
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and manage priorities
- Asks questions and seeks guidance when needed
We Would Love To Hear From You If Are:
|Skilled communicator in English and French (written and oral)||Adept at managing stress and conflict with professional integrity|
|A team-player||Responsible and reliable|
|Diplomatic and tactful||Self-motivated|
|Flexible, adaptable, and organized||Accountable|
|Goal oriented||Detail-oriented and decisive|
What CMRRA Has to Offer:
- Great colleagues who are involved in and passionate about the music industry
- 35-hour work week
- Comprehensive benefit plan; and Group Retirement Plan with Employer matching program
- Summer hours (compressed work week)
- Convenient downtown location with Hybrid Office-Telework Program
- Casual dress code
CMRRA is committed to fostering an environment where our employees, clients, and partners feel valued and supported. As leaders in the music industry, we recognize that building a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization is vital. Every day we aspire to do better than the day before because we wholeheartedly believe that there is strength in diversity and that we are stronger together.
We are committed to the principles of Employment Equity and invite applicants with all lived experiences to apply for this position. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process. We thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.