Information Services Summer Student
Information Services Branch
Job Code #21-06
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. The Commission’s mandate is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices, to foster fair and efficient capital markets and confidence in capital markets, and to contribute to the stability of the financial system and the reduction of systemic risk. This mandate is performed through policy, operational, adjudication and enforcement work. The OSC also contributes to national and global securities regulation development.
We offer a diverse, fair and flexible work environment, and take pride in our challenging and rewarding work.
What we do
The Information Services Branch supports the full spectrum of OSC employees’ information needs, ensuring that the organization can effectively regulate Ontario’s capital market. Specifically, Information Services is responsible for system development and support services. Branch staff partner with managers and directors to develop solutions that both streamline operations and consolidate efforts to best effect across all points of information technology.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the IS Summer Student will be instrumental in supporting the OSC’s “cloud first” strategy by supporting adoption of SharePoint and creation of a SharePoint portal to enable centralizing files. This pilot project will then be used as a base and rolled out to other OSC branches.
The IS Summer Student will work with the managers of Application Services, Technical Services and Enterprise Architecture to identify the branding and content for each team. This position will be responsible for identifying the appropriate content, making edits and enhancements, and building out a branch-level SharePoint portal. Other responsibilities include:
- Taking content from existing content repositories and restructuring and moving it to SharePoint to assist with the development of a branch site.
- Becoming the expert in all things SharePoint from an external communication perspective for the branch.
- Adopting an “agile” mindset to implement the branch’s new content management portal to be immediately functional, but with the goal of continuously enhancing it with each iteration by adding capabilities to it (i.e. Minimum Viable Product).
This is an exciting opportunity for a budding technical expert who is passionate about cultural and operational transformation that drives our technology vision into value-added solutions.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Knowledge of SharePoint from both a development and a configuration perspective, and ability to implement and configure a SharePoint site with little supervision
- Some basic knowledge of web design to help create a branch intranet site
- Be a self-motivated, independent learner who has the ability to work with little direction, learn the tool and achieve the desired outcomes
- Familiarity with concepts such as change management, version control, document management, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to create presentations to convey complex thoughts and ideas to a targeted audience
- Current enrolment in a post-secondary education program with the relevant skills or equivalent experience
- Strong work ethic and the ability to meet deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- A customer- and performance-centric mindset with a can-do attitude that aids solution-focused thinking rather than solely identifying issues
- Ability to engage with stakeholders across the team and branch
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC!
Please include the file number and position title in your application. In addition, your application must include the following:
- Cover letter – stating your interest in working for the OSC and branch
- Copies of your current undergraduate transcripts
- Reference letters are welcomed but not required
If possible, please attach the above documents in one PDF document, with the naming convention “Last Name, First Name, File 21-06”.
Please submit your application for this position through the OSC website (https://www.osc.ca/en/about-us/careers-osc). Applications must be received by Thursday, April 22, 2021, at 11:59 pm EST.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Ontario Securities Commission. We will contact those selected for an interview.
The OSC is committed to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace. It is our priority to ensure employment opportunities are visible and barrier-free to all under-represented groups, including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ2S community, to achieve an employee demographic profile reflective of the demographic profile of Ontarians.
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting our confidential inbox HRRecruitment@osc.gov.on.ca. Visit Accessibility at the OSC to review the OSC’s policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace.