Why is this role important?
CBC/Radio-Canada’s Web Player Products team is responsible for the media experience on cbc.ca, developing the code libraries that allow millions of Canadians to enjoy audio and video streaming on the CBC website for both live and on-demand content.
This is a constantly-evolving area as bandwidths increase, audience expectations are raised, and audio/video content becomes increasingly prevalent in news, entertainment, and sports journalism. The team is continuously innovating to improve performance and working with our analytics and machine learning teams to improve the audience experience.
This is a chance to take on the unique challenges the sheer volume of our web traffic presents; to use new and continuously changing technologies, use A/B testing and other creative methods to discover how to engage CBC’s audience. Most of all, it’s an opportunity to help millions of Canadians to discover information and entertainment every single day.
This is currently a remote role with the requirement to be in-office once the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions are lifted, and it is deemed safe for our team to be together.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values – collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement – embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work.
- Work from home opportunities.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie.
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology.
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development.
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups.
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent.
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected.
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity.
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
- You will be working on a team that creates end-to-end user-facing products with an emphasis on discoverability, engagement, and personalization on our prominent sites such as CBC’s News, Sports, and Olympics.
- You will be working with UX Designers to ensure that our products meet the needs of all Canadians, including those with accessibility challenges.
- You will be helping the team’s Architect keep up-to-date on the latest developments in technology, assuring that our products remain modern, scalable, and performant.
- You will be collaborating with other teams to ensure that the entire stack of products, including UI/UX, content management, and data analytics, all function smoothly together.
- You will be responsible for writing automated test cases and suites to ensure quality and quick deployments using latest and best practices.
What you could bring to our team:
- You have the education: A Computer Science, Engineering, Math degree or equivalent is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their programming skills this way.
- You have the knowledge and understanding of software development and unit / end to end testing.
- Experience with writing code accompanied by unit tests sufficient to ensure coverage realistic use cases and edge cases.
- You have an understanding of application flow, from the data layer to the UI.
- You have experience integrating API endpoints.
- You can quickly learn new technologies and respond to change by learning and adapting.
- You know how to listen and relay empathy and understanding for diverse perspectives.
- You thrive in a team-focused environment.
- You are comfortable working in an Agile environment, but you are flexible and open to real-world twists and turns; and you are comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- Experience with React, Redux, GraphQL, TypeScript.
- Exposure to test-driven development.
- Using testing frameworks such as Nightwatch, Cypress, Jest, Selenium.
- Workflow / CI / CD tools such as Atlassian JIRA, Bamboo, Stash (GIT).