Job ID 15565
In this 14 – 16month contract, the Director, Human Resources & Corporate Services will provide leadership in key operational and strategic planning at the Vector Institute, an independent, not-for-profit corporation dedicated to research in the field of artificial intelligence, excelling in machine learning and deep learning.
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the successful incumbent will provide leadership support across all areas of Human Resources, Office Services, and other corporate services including the ideation and oversight of the implementation of new policies, programs, activities, and processes that contribute to the achievement of organizational goals and a positive and productive workplace culture.
- Leads in the strategic planning of annual initiatives for the Human Resources, Office Services teams and other corporate services, overseeing execution of this work, development and implementation of policies, programs, activities, and processes, and ensuring legal and policy compliance;
- Provides leadership and development support to members of the Human Resources and Office Services teams;
- Collaborates with senior staff to make personnel, policy, and environment recommendations to support organizational goals and strategies and develop and maintain a productive and engaging workplace culture;
- Supports the Human Resources and Office Services teams in resolving escalated and sensitive workplace matters;
- Develops, monitors, and controls staffing-related budgets;
- Acting as Vector’s corporate secretary, directs an effective governance framework and ensures compliance at the Board level;
- Takes a leadership role in the organization and execution of meetings of the Board of Directors including the coordination of meeting materials and creation of meeting minutes;
- Takes a leadership role in the preparation and execution of meetings of the Human Resources & Compensation Committee, ensuring follow-though of all identified action items and points of feedback;
- In partnership with the Director, Finance and Manager, Finance, provide oversight in the preparation and execution of meetings of the Audit & Finance Committee, ensuring follow-though of all identified action items and points of feedback;
- Oversight over Vector corporate metrics including metrics collection, verification, and distribution;
- Hosting of external Vector presentations and delegations as required; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
KEY SUCCESS MEASURES
- Feedback from Vector staff and other stakeholders validates that HR and Office Services are viewed as approachable, trusted, respected, and for providing valued services, counsel and support;
- Staff reporting to the Director are effectively managed with performance and developmental support provided;
- HR, Office Services, and other corporate services goals are well crafted and supportive of the achievement of broader organizational strategy;
- HR, Office Services, and other corporate services objectives under their annual and strategic business plans are achieved;
- People processes at Vector run smoothly, accurately and error free;
- Employee relations matters are resolved in an ethical fair manner in alignment with Vector’s policies and culture that mitigates risk for the Vector Institute.
- Vector maintains legislative compliance with its employment and governance policies and programs;
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- 5+ years of relevant HR leadership experience in complex, intellectually challenging, and fast-paced, high-growth organizations; CHRL designation or in progress;
- A graduate from an HR post-grad diploma programme or holds an undergraduate degree in a related field;
- Experience or training in broader corporate governance;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a broad portfolio of HR responsibilities spanning a variety of corporate services functional areas, in an organized and detailed manner, while maintaining a calm, professional demeanour and ensuring legal and policy compliance;
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading high functioning teams;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, human rights, accessibility, and equity;
- Highly effective client and candidate relationship management skills, working with stakeholders ranging from Executives to employees and world-class faculty and students;
- Accurate and has highly developed and effective written and verbal communication skills; and
- Passionate about supporting and developing talent and in contributing to Vector’s success in achieving its mission and strategic objectives.
HOW TO APPLY
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Sameera Ali, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is August 19, 2022.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, LGBT2Q+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.