Job ID 19948
Do you have a passion for storytelling? Do you thrive working in an evolving and collaborative environment? If yes, then we would love you to join our team!
Our Marketing and Communications team works to protect, build, and showcase Vector’s brand among both internal and external audiences, drive demand for Vector’s offerings and support a cohesive and positive customer experience for our communities.
To support this mandate, the Vector Institute is seeking a dynamic and skilled Communications Specialist to join our Marketing and Communications Team.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications and Public Relations, the Communications Specialist will work with the communications team and program areas to develop and execute multi-faceted communications strategies to build the Vector Institute’s profile as a world-class artificial intelligence (AI) institute.
The incumbent for this role will be responsible for proactively identifying communications opportunities and writing a variety of content to support campaigns that showcase the impact of the people, research, and programs at the Vector Institute.
As a Communications Specialist, you will be supporting communications on new offering launches, sponsorship announcements, communications to specific audiences within Vector’s ecosystem (SMEs, Government, Researchers etc.), internal communications, and other corporate communications. You’ll work with leaders and researchers across various areas of Vector, both internally and externally, to champion the Vector brand.
- Participate in complex cross-work stream/department projects, collaborating with business areas to develop and deliver clear, timely, and accurate communications and communications support
- Work with work stream/ departments to understand target audience needs
- Manage deliverables through internal editorial and communications review / approval processes, including abiding by compliance requirements such as AODA and CASL
- Assist with measuring, evaluating, and optimizing communication effectiveness and reporting results to stakeholders
- Conduct research and analysis to inform the development of narratives, profiles, stories, media pitches, and announcements to communicate the impact of Vector’s people, research, and programs, including by reviewing literature and interviewing Vector’s leadership, staff, researchers, alumni, industry partners, and other stakeholders
- Write, edit, fact-check and coordinate production of a wide variety of communications materials, such as press releases, blog articles, speech writing, key messages, correspondence, fact sheets, presentations, website, and social media content, ensuring materials are accurate and up-to-date on an ongoing basis
- Keeps informed of AI-ecosystem related information and identifies key corporate messages, events, and news items that can be rolled into various corporate communications materials
- Collaborates as necessary with outside vendors and freelancers to produce required communications materials
- Assists with managing the timelines, translation, and approvals processes required for a variety of communications related projects and campaigns
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in establishing metrics and targets, as well as gathering data, to report on communications activities and their outcomes; leveraging a variety of existing tools and resources write and edit a broad range of client-facing communications
- Lead projects with direction from the Manager, Communications and Public Relations to develop communication strategies that will influence and help align business objectives and activities
- Work with senior leaders and Marketing and Communication team members in Events, Marketing, Digital, and Government Relations to contribute to building and implementing comprehensive communication plans, ensuring the right message is delivered to the right audience at the right time for maximum effectiveness
- Work with management to meet internal and external reporting requirements by preparing progress updates for leadership and funding partners, and support the development of external-facing reports/ thought leadership (e.g., Annual Reports)
- Contribute to the development and execution of media outreach, marketing, PR, and community outreach campaigns
- Support execution of internal communications to foster engagement and a positive, collaborative culture and manage the internal communications calendar – coordinating with CEO’s office, HR team, operations and other workstreams to include a unified view to our staff, delivering on our employee value proposition
- Adhere to all defined Vector Institute processes and policies, including sponsorship, accounting, procurement, and HR driven requirements
- Undertake other duties as assigned
- Communications strategies result in effective, impactful progress towards Vector’s strategic objectives (e.g., research, recruitment, industry relations and health strategy), as measured by quantitative and qualitative metrics
- Communications tactics are planned in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders as appropriate
- Communications are timely, relevant, and error-free
- New faculty, students, industry and health partners and other collaborators are increasingly interested in joining the Vector Institute’s community and supporting the advancement of Vector’s vision and mission
- Vector complies with communications protocols with academic, government, and institutional partners
PROFILE OF IDEAL CANDIDATE
- 3-5 years of communications experience in both English and preferably French; identifying, planning, and executing strategic communications plans with sound knowledge of writing and editing principles
- Fluent in English required and proficiency in French is an asset (written and spoken)
- Education and/or equivalent relevant work experience in communications, journalism, or a related field
- Familiarity with scientific terminology is an asset
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into meaningful narratives and information for a variety of audiences, demonstrated by a strong portfolio of writing samples
- Computer skills in standard office software for word processing and adapting basic content layouts to produce a variety of communications materials
- Proficiency in software and tools for creative and digital communications or Media monitoring (e.g., Globe Newswire, Meltwater, WordPress etc.) is considered an asset
- Marketing, media relations, and issues management experience are considered assets
- Organized, professional, attentive to detail, flexible and adaptable
- Excellent communication, analytical and creative thinking skills
- Ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently, maintain focus and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work successfully with various organizational levels, stakeholders, and people with diverse backgrounds and interests
HOW TO APPLY
Please address applications (cover letter and resume) to Sameera Ali, Talent Acquisition Specialist, using the link provided. The deadline for submission is January 27, 2023.
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians. We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are Indigenous, 2SLGBTQ+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.