The Globe and Mail is a national icon and Canada’s most recognized media brand.
We’re also an international award winner for data visualization, design, and creative storytelling. A digital innovator with a global client list for our in-house AI-powered optimization, prediction and automation platform. And a place where Canadians come for the best journalism in the country.
We aim to reflect Canada in the stories we tell and in our workforce. The Globe is a proud partner of Pride At Work, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. We understand our staff have lives outside of the office and offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also provide training and mentorships to staff to ensure you’re able to grow and challenge yourself and your abilities.
No matter what your role at The Globe, you’ll be part of an organization dedicated to making a difference to Canada.
- Collaborate with data engineers to build a robust, high-scalable data pipeline and API to power our machine learning products.
- Take ownership of developing high-quality products from concept to production, including requirements gathering, feature creation, testing, documentation, deployment, A/B testing evaluation and post production support.
- Collaborate with DevOps to create AWS Infrastructure as code for all your applications.
- Collaborate with data scientists to build products around ML models, reconcile the process and modularize work
- Following AWS well-architected framework to bring and apply industry engineering best practices
- Drive innovation through iteration.
- Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or any relevant background required
- 3+years of experience in software development or data engineering for an intermediate level
- 5+ years of experience for a senior level
- Proficient and hands on with at least one programming language, prefer Python/Java
- Experience in Event driven architecture using AWS Lambda, ECS/Fargate, API Gateway, Kinesis, DynamoDB, EventBridge, S3, SQS, SNS
- Familiar with Twelve-Factor App methodology ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-Factor_App_methodology )
- Understanding of IAM policies and roles
- Familiar with cloud architecture and security
- Familiar with Codepipleline and Codebuild
- Familiar with test driven development methodologies
- Nice to have: Familiar with continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Nice to have: Infrastructure as code experience, such as Terraform or CloudFormation or CDK
- High level of personal accountability, self-motivated
- Strong communication, verbal and written skills
- Quick learner, solution-oriented, able to implement prototypes with new tools quickly
- Comfortable taking on new challenges with a high willingness to learn
- Creative and out-of-the-box thinking to come up with alternative solutions to meet the business requirements
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.