Help make a difference for Canadians. CMHC’s aspiration is that by 2030, everyone in Canada has a home that they can afford and that meets their needs. All of our programs and activities support this singular goal.
The Multi-Unit Underwriting Professionals Program is a talent recruitment and training program designed to attract, train and retain top talent and provide a unique career opportunity in multi-unit underwriting and in real estate credit and risk analysis.
Multi-unit underwriting is a highly specialized area and we are looking to increase our internal capability. This will help solidify our position as the Canadian expert and leader in multi-unit housing finance and risk management, and further expand our expertise in the creation and preservation of market and affordable rental units.
As part of the 12-month training program, you will get exposure to the complete multi-unit mortgage life cycle and default management including policy interpretation, enabling you to learn firsthand about the various risks related to the housing market. At the end of the training, you will have gained the knowledge and skills you will need to continue your career as a real estate financing professional on one of CMHC’s Multi-Unit Underwriting teams.
Number of openings: 5 permanent full time positions.
• Conduct detailed risk analysis involving program/product requirements, including but not limited to an assessment of the property, market, borrower and loan, which may involve financial, legal and professional reviews.
• Apply sound judgment and decision-making practices that are factual and based on well-reasoned analysis to derive recommendations and solutions in line with CMHC’s risk appetite.
• Offer advice, support and alternative solutions to clients and stakeholders including the communication of key decisions, exercising prudence and diligence to ensure compliance with all relevant internal policies and procedures applicable to the function.
• Serve as peer reviewer and approver on risk recommendation decisions within financial authority limits, as applicable.
• Analyze applications involving issues including misrepresentation, borrower structures and financial capacity reviews and exceptions to policy, as applicable.
• Work in a team environment and contribute to service standards and turnaround times, while also engaging internal support functions such as legal services, policy and operations, and borrower analysis to seek clarification.
• Use effective oral and written communication techniques to deliver quality service, while maintaining quality relationships with clients to understand their needs and objectives and explore opportunities.
• A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, commerce, or real estate combined with a minimum of two (2) years of experience in Real Estate Underwriting and Analysis (Multi-Unit 7+), with a demonstrated proficiency in the understanding and application of Real Estate Financing parameters.
• Knowledge of financial analysis and statements, borrower legal structures and real estate financing, in addition to familiarity with procedures, policies, regulations, and risk management.
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills with a demonstrated ability in the identification and mitigation of multi-unit real estate risks.
• Knowledge of market trends and developments in Canada and of industry partners.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Strong oral and written communication skills in both official languages (French and English)
• Solid understanding of the Canadian housing market industry (construction, rental, multi-unit development).
Posting closing date: Note, the competition may remain active until filled.
CMHC values diverse backgrounds and experience and welcomes non-Canadians who are eligible to work in Canada to apply!
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.