Job ID 22589
Part-Time (3 days/week)
The school’s Museum & Archives contains a vast collection of photographs and printed records, as well as artifacts such as uniforms, jewelry, trophies and science equipment. BSS opened its doors in 1867 with the intention of educating girls and teaching them how to be leaders. Our archives honours and protects the heritage of the school. BSS pulses with the energy of its past, and the archives allow students to better understand themselves, their school and their country. Find out more about our history by clicking here.
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow – and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Summers off! This role has vacation in July & August
- Our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunch provided everyday!
- Discounted student tuition for eligible staff’s children
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
Summary of Position
Reporting to the Director, Parent & Alumnae Engagement, the Archivist is responsible for the oversight and maintenance of the historical collection and information of The Bishop Strachan School (the “School”) ensuring that records, memorabilia and objects of enduring value are preserved in a manner that protects their integrity and are made available to the BSS community.
- Acquire, appraise, describe, process, preserve and make accessible digital and physical records and objects of enduring value according to established professional and ethical standards
- Manage the School’s digital database, Chorus
- Lead an information governance program including:
- Digitization and overseeing the identification and administering, directly or indirectly, those records of historical, or business value, both hard copy and electronic
- Facilitating the development of a protocol/procedure for receiving material including the documentation of change
- Create and maintain inventories and finding aids for the collection
- Act as the primary respondent on archival research questions from both the BSS community (primarily Advancement, Enrolment & Communications) and the public
- Work with faculty to integrate BSS’ heritage into the curriculum including:
- Host classes in the Archives using the collection
- Prepare material for student and faculty use to reinforce learning
- Support individual student research projects
- Support Advancement events involving Old Girls and the wider BSS community including:
- scan and assemble digital folders on specific graduating years for significant reunions
- host Reunion tours
- research specific honoured Old Girls or Old Girls to be visited
- bring/create relevant documents and/or items to event locations
Preservation and Conservation
- Select and digitize materials based on preservation and access needs
- Collaborate on budget spend in conjunction with budgets allocated
- Embed diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging into all processes
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should visit our website and click Apply Now.
We are committed to providing an accessible experience and an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Admin at 416-483-4325, ext. 1691 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.